Thursday 3 January 2013

Reader 2 - The reflective practitioner.

In this reader we see that reflection is the tool to turn our experiences into knowledge.
One tool we can use for reflection is Kolbs 'learning cycle' - approaching the experience.





As you can see there is no specific entry point to the learning cycle, this suggests that we are all different in our learning processes. Our entry points could also vary depending on the experience we're having at that time.
I think Kolbs cycle is easy and clear to understand how initially we begin to learn and using the cycle I found it interesting to see how I enter the cycle and using it I can realise i have had an experience and therefore reflect and learn from my experience. 

My Learning Style usually enters at the Reflective Observation point and then the Concrete
 Experience. For example: during college, If I had to pick up a routine, the quickest way for me to learn it would be to watch someone do it first. When a routine was broken up and demonstrated slowly, i wouldn't necessarily always pick it up straight away and I think this might be because i'm very musical so to see movements to a beat at normal tempo, it registers better for me than if the moves were broken down and without a beat. Although 
this might seem as though i'm lucky to be able to pick things up that quickly without slow demonstration, it didn't/doesn't always go in my favour at auditions. Choreographers always break routines down and teach with numbers and not beats and i find this really hard, therefore not being very good at picking up routines quickly, which could jeopardise my change of getting the job. Then the concrete experience is doing the choreography myself 
and to feel the moves physically using muscle memory. Learning is watching and applying for me.

I'm not really a net 'savvy' person so when it comes to getting to grips with anything online i just kind of get on with it!? So setting up my blog I just followed some simple instructions then it was a case of trial and error with everything else until it looked fairly similar to the 
other blogs and I knew how to work it. Here I entered Kolbs learning cycle at the Active Experimentation point. I think I'm pretty good with picking things up after trying it out as a trial and error attempt.

Looking at Howard Gardiner's list of intelligences(gardner, 1983), I would say I am intelligent musically, bodily-kinaesthetic and intrapersonally. I can pick up a beat, play music by ear from what I have heard and can create music without being at any major high st andard of any musical instrument. But I think this is something that comes naturally within us, just like dancing. I have always had a great sense of rhythm and movement. Also intrpersonally, I do believe I can connect well with other people and their emotions as well as my own. I am a great judge of character and feel I naturally want to help others around me who need it. 

Questions from the reader:

1) how do you reflect on events?
Depending on what I am doing or where I am at the time, reflection can vary for me. Like 
Donald Schon's idea (Schon, 1987) he introduced, reflection-in-action or reflection-on-action, I feel I use both of these concepts on a daily basis. For instance if I were in a dance class and picking up a routine, then I would be continually reflecting throughout using reflection-IN-action. I'm watching, learning, trying out steps, seeing how it looks on me all within the present tense. But then I could go home and sit and write about my day or talk to someone about it and then I would be using reflection-ON-action. Looking back on how I may have handled a situation or performed in that certain class. Here I'd be looking back on the past tense. I find Reflection-IN-action is a brief, efficient way to reflect in the moment, like a check list, whilst reflection-ON-action is something Where i can emote and think twice about something, more like a monologue. Using different tenses of time can vary how we reflect. 

From day to day using social media is another personal way i reflect. My twitter account is not only a way for me to stay connected with friends and personal interests but it is also basically my diary for other people to see what I'm doing or where I'm going later and also how I may feel about certain topics. updating a status allows me to open up freely to my followers, which is great because it allows me to actually tell myself how I feel too, although I would never tweet about something too personal or my deepest feelings towards something, just out of personal privacy. Another way in which I reflect is simply talking about how I feel either to my boyfriend or close friend. This allows me to hear aloud what is actually going on in my head and sometimes this helps because I may not always understand what I feel inside until I sound it out. 

2) have you ever said 'I learnt from that experience!'?
Yes I have, plenty of times! I believe that The best way for a dancer or actress to perform at thier best, is to be on stage and actually learn from the moment. Rehearsing at Italia Conti for my first ever end of year show at The Wimbledon Theatre had me prepared I thought, 
even though I hadnt ever been in a show like this, but when opening night came and I got on the stage infront of the hundreds of people in the audience, nothing could have prepared me for that!! The feeling I got was incredible and I had no idea where my inner performance came from! The best way to learn as a performer is to PERFORM! 

3) have you ever known something before you realised what it means to you?
This question is something I have always thought about in daydreams or quiet moments to myself. I sometimes ask myself 'I wonder when I first learnt the word ...' and then I think 'did someone ever tell me that word or did I just gather what it was from when I heard it in conversation?' because Im pretty sure someone didn't define every single word i know in my vocabulary!? So I'm sure I do know things before I actually know what it means. For example- ballet is taught using french vocabulary and I don't speak any French, so learning the moves and the names of them was pretty much standard, but then actually  understanding what the move meant was something I learnt after and actually resulted in me changing the way I demonstrated the move. E.g- pliĆ© - to bend the knees whilst standing in a stance. But it actually means 'to melt'. So then the way I bent my knees was now softer.

No comments:

Post a Comment