Friday 5 October 2012

Task 1a: My Informal CV

My Name is Ellis Rose Higgins and I am 20, born on 18/11/91. I am from London, England and have always lived in North London. The performing buzz came early, at the age of just 2 years old. I attended my first ballet class at The London Academy of Dance and a few years later joined The Italia Conti Barbican associate's and continued my training every Saturday until i was 11. I took multiple classes and exams such as Ballet, tap, modern, drama, singing and street dance and my passion only grew stronger- I knew this was what i wanted to do with my life. When the time came around I auditioned for a place at the full time school and was honored to be awarded with a scholarship to attend. Here was where i took the first stepping stones to becoming a successful performer and fulfilling my dreams. I Learnt from some of the top professionals from the industry in the oldest theatre school in London; and with an extremely close group of friends like mine at school, I can safely say that these were the best years of my life. I Passed My GCSE's and knew exactly where I wanted to go to college, even though i did audition at other musical theatre colleges such as Urdang. I had to re-audition for the 3 year Musical theatre course and when they offered me a place with a second scholarship I knew that Italia Conti was the place for me and I couldn't bare to leave my family! With new additions to the family i got to make some amazing new friends and here is where I took those next stepping stones forward to my dreams.
As well as Going to college and getting together a singing repertoire, creating assesment routines, working on coursework for the end of year and still try to be a socialite, i was now 16 and had to get a job for the weekends to hep out. I first started working at Abercrombie and Fitch- an American clothing brand which was fresh and new to London at the time. I enjoyed Meeting new people, learning about the brand and actually having a 'normal' job! Since then i have worked in numerous places, in all different areas of work, going through my college years such as a Dance teacher for various venues including Esporta gyms and local weekend dance schools. I worked as a receptionist with Esporta Gym, i was a silver service waitress for High Society catering services, a shot girl in various west end clubs, a Bar tender at Bar Soho in Soho and I have been a sales assistant in Harrods for an agency called TBC. I always say "You can never have too may strings to your bow!" I think it's good that people and especially performers can do other things in all areas.
As well as these jobs the Italia Conti agency would put us forward for auditions whilst at college. I was lucky enough to get a few jobs with them such as an advert for x-box Kinect-a grease lightning game and to appear in the ISTD gala show at Sadlers Wells.
Throughout my time at Italia Conti, I have got to perform in some of the top theatres in England such as Thw New Wimbledon Theatre, the Shaw Theatre, Avondale Theatre and Grovsner house. At the end of every year we had our production shows in these places. My favourite time of year!
Since graduating from college with my National Diploma in Musical Theatre I set out to get myself an agent and after being a lead in a play in Islington with a drama class I am now represented by YAT Management. I have grabbed lead parts in 2 plays at the Young Actors Theatre and was lucky enough to film a short film with a BBC director earlier this year. I am still auditioning with YAT and enjoying every second!
One thing i have learnt whilst growing up is that it's not what you know it's who you know and with this in mind i have been asked on a few jobs from fellow students and teachers. My latest dance job was from a friend who i trained with at college for LGE runway. It was amazing!
I currently have 2-3 side jobs depending on what comes up, but i work part time a Zumba fitness instuctor around London and i enjoy this very much. I also work full time at a primary school called Barnfield where i take on the roll as a teaching assistant. I have worked there for a year already and am happiest here out of all of the side jobs i have ever done. Teaching came naturally to me as a child and so i think as i have grown up my skills have developed and then confidence and fluency followed along.
My dreams and aspirations sometimes seem like a long way off with all of the knock backs from auditions and lack of jobs out there but i have learnt to stay strong and keep going. One day i would like to see myself on T.V as a regular on a soap or a drama. Maybe even in some Hollywood films!? a 'Lara Croft' type role springs to mind! I'd love to get a permanent musical job right now in something like 'Wicked' or 'Hairspray'.
Going back to Learning with the BAPP course was a step i wanted to make so that I can take my hard work to the next level. So far its not so bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment